Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Tile Coaster Tutorial

Through the wondrous organizational tool of all things beautiful (Pinterest) I found this idea.  And it was as easy as promised and with good results!  Great, cute, cheap, little gift!

Materials:
4x4 Ceramic tiles (I got mine for 16 cents each at Lowe's)
Mod Podge (and something to spread it with)
Beautiful Scrapbook paper cut into 3.75" squares
Clear Spray-on Sealant
Felt cut into little squares

I actually had everything but the tiles already on hand which made it even easier to execute this little project as an impromptu present for Ella's preschool teachers.

So, #1 Utilize any able-bodied small child who won't drop the tiles to clean them off for you to prep them for the project

#2 Set up any other small children with something exciting to do (I let Sadie have water on her tray! I know, I'm a wild woman) and strap them into something where they can't eat the Mod Podge.

#3 If you're brave enough, let the older child use the paper cutter to slice up the squares slightly smaller than the size of the tile

#4 Don't get frustrated when the child will only make weird faces for the camera

#5 Admire your pretty squares!  We did purple and black for one of Ella's teachers who LOVES the Ravens and blues for the other teacher for no particular reason.
#6 Grab the Mod Podge and slather on a coat on the naked tile, then on top of the paper.  Let it dry and repeat for 2-3 coats. And don't freak out if you're new to Mod Podge-even if the papers look wet or darker or cloudy when you paint it on, they'll dry clear and normal looking.

#7  I didn't take a picture of the next step but when the tiles feel dry, take them outside and give them a good coat of the Spray Sealant so they'll actually be waterproof for the glasses that rest on them.

#8 Gather your felt (you can even coordinate the colors if you're feeling fancy) and glue it onto the back of the tile in each corner.

#9 In this case, since Ella helped and they were for her teachers I let her write "Love, Ella" on the back of each one in Sharpie
#10 Tie 'em up and send 'em off! Easy and Fun and Useful! I made a set to match our new green living room the next day and I like 'em a lot.

3 comments:

  1. I am SO doing this. Probably for teacher gifts. Did you see the ones Grace made for wedding gifts? Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These rock! And you are a wild woman for giving your daughter H2O to play with woooo hooo!

    ReplyDelete