Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Spiritual Development

Right now, Ella knows that God made everyone and everything (though she's hesitant to attribute "yucky" things to him which is interesting). She kinda knows that Jesus and God go together in some way, and she's heard lots of kid-friendly Bible stories. She knows that God loves us and we pray to Him and He's always with us. Her level of understanding is a bit sketchy but it's SO endearing to us to watch her learn more and understand more about the Lord.

The two latest spiritual developments happened in the last 24 hours. First, she learned her first Bible verse! It's Psalm 23:1-which sounds like "The Load is my shepahd, I shah na wa." We talked about what this means and though I'm sure it's just memorization at this point, the Word is living and active so I'm excited to get it in her as early and as often as possible!

The second thing is that she prayed for the first time! She's a pro at a loud "AMEN" whenever Chris or I pray but yesterday she absolutely MELTED my heart with her first, personal prayer. I was upset about something with school and she was asking why mommy was sad. I explained it to her as best I could and she gave me hugs and kisses and said she wanted me to please be happy. That went a long way but the best part was hours later when she was headed off to bed, I asked her if she wanted to pray for me. This is not something I ever ask and I didn't think she'd do it but she bowed her head right away and said "God, please help mommy to feel better because she's sad. Amen." It really might have been the sweetest moment of my life to date.

1 comment: