Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hanukkah, O Hanukkah!

Because my dad is Jewish, I grew up celebrating Hanukkah and Chris and I have decided to carry on the tradition! Ella has been learning all about the Maccabees and the oil lasting for 8 days, menorahs, the shamash, latkes, and dreidels. However we had a little miscommunication and Ella was very disappointed when she saw that the candles don't burn for 8 days :-( It's been fun to point to God's miracles from so long ago to encourage all of us that He still does amazing things today!


A rousing round of "Hanukkah O Hanukkah, come light the menorah.."


After a crazy stressful day I spent about 20 minutes taking pictures of the menorah as the candles burned. It was so relaxing and fun to be creative. I think photography may actually become my new hobby. Like father like daughter I guess.





And finally, Ella singing "Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel" at my grandmother's house last week. Ignore her pulling up her tights at the beginning. She's 4. She doesn't quite get propriety ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Corinne,
    I am tearful. It is so wonderful to see the tradition carried on. You and Marissa loved Hanukkah because you got 8 gifts every year, even in college. Do you remember receiving a gift every day...and then the last day, every year, you got GOLD--trinkets,earrings, candy wrapped in gold paper, cash, and the like. I absolutely still love Hanukkah. I will be by with GOLD for Ella tonight.

    ReplyDelete