Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Operation Get Rid of the Bottle, Day 2

The time has come. This is the week that (God-willing) Ella is going to stop using a bottle. She's used to having one before her nap and before bed at night. I'm writing about it here to help keep me accountable to actually take it away and not cave in. I won't go into all of the things we've already tried but we're pretty sure that the only way this will work is to just take it away and yes, face the crying. Crying it out has worked for many things with Ella and it usually is a pretty quick process. So, I'll update this week about how it's going. Here's the plan:

1)Sun and Mon-less milk in bottle (to get her used to not having that "meal")
2)Sun forward-milk or juice in her sippy cups (so sippy cups are "yay!" and bottle is "eww watered down milk!"
3)Feel her out a little to see how long we should stay at this stage
4)Before next Sunday: Pack up the bottles, put them in the trunk of the car, and pray that her amazing sleeping track record is not ruined by losing the bottle (I have to put the bottles somewhere that requires some effort so I won't give in easily-I HATE being outside in the dark so going out to get a bottle in the middle of the night is VERY unlikely)

UPDATE #1
I was not really planning this but I was letting Ella open the microwave to get her bottle of milk out tonight and I asked her if she wanted to have her milk in her Elmo Cup (I had no expectation of this working-she's totally rejected sippy cups before bed in the past). I showed her the Elmo cup and she nodded wildly that yes, she wanted her milk in there. I poured it in, still glancing at her out of the corner of my eye thinking "when is she going to freak out...is she really going to drink this??" We took her "Elmo milk" into her room, she drank almost all of it while I read a couple books and then she said she was all done with the milk and I put her in bed. That was almost 2 hours ago and I haven't heard a peep!!!! I'm terrified to get my hopes up that this could actually be this easy (her nap is VERY likely to be harder and tonight could be a fluke). Regardless, she went to bed with NO BOTTLE!!!!!!! And it wasn't even "take away the bottle day" yet! I REALLY hope she sleeps through the night...I'll let you know as Operation Take Away the Bottle continues. All I have to say right now is PRAISE GOD FOR ELMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment