Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Friday, May 18, 2007

18 Months Old!

Ella is 18 months old!! She had her 18 month doctor's appt this morning and it went really well! She was not a fan of the doctor at her 15 month appointment and cried even when they were weighing her. This time she was happy as a clam, marching around the room in her diaper, reading herself The Foot Book, and playing with a purple plastic glove the nurse gave her.
Her 18 month stats are as follows:

Weight : 22lbs 13 oz
Height : 31 1/2 inches

She's in the 40th Percntile for height and 25th for weight but the doctor said that she doesn't seem underweight at all (she still has a little bit of that baby buddha belly) and is doing well. We talked about her picky eating habits and the doctor said goldfish and peanut butter really aren't bad staples for her diet and to continue slipping in the fruits, veggies, and dairy wherever I can. We also talked about vitamins so I'll get her on those soon.

Ella only needed one shot today. She cried for less than 10 seconds and then was so fascinated by her bandaid she promptly stopped crying and then waved and said "bye bye" to the nurse. I snuck in a few pictures after that while I got her dressed.







PS: I've experienced this a number of times now but when people notice Ella's hearing aids they assume she doesn't talk or can't hear (let alone understand) what's going on around her. I know that's reasonable for someone who doesn't know her but I always enjoy the surprise on their faces when she starts talking. So, I was quite the proud parent when the doctor was asking me questions like "does she like bread and cereals?" and Ella answered "yes," very clearly and nodded her head and then went back to pointing out everything she recognized in the book she was looking at. Then the doctor asked me if she was using a sippy cup and Ella walked over to the diaper bag, pulled out her cup and handed it to the doctor. She even walked up to the doctor picked up her stethoscope and held it up to her ear (I have no idea how she knows to do that). The doctor then went to write down notes about Ella's "advanced speech and cognitive development" and proclaimed her "a very smart child." Yay Ella! Those hearing aids won't hold you back at all!

3 comments:

  1. What make are her hearing aids, and if you wore them, would you cover them with your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is this commenting? (just wondering)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is very smart and I'm also very proud of her! Just love that girl! Kisses, Auntie Ana

    ReplyDelete