So this blog is sometimes for other people to be amused by cute things Ella does but I really started it as a record for myself so I'd remember what she did at different times. So, I apologize if it's not amusing today (or other times) but that's a lot of pressure and I really just want to write everything I think of because I'm sure I won't remember it by next week. So, here's what she's been up to...
Ella has an in home evaluation every other month by a teacher for the deaf and hard of hearing in our county. This time her audiologist came also and both were very impressed by her! Developmentally she's doing all of the things a 24 month old should be doing and a bunch of the 30month things too! (She's 22 months old now). Her speech and comprehension are ahead for her age too. The summer has been full of activities that are not good for hearing aid wearing but I'm hoping to be better about having them on her as much as possible.
Chris and I have also been pretty awed lately by Ella's speech and comprehension. She is saying the entire alphabet (LMNOP gets a little slurred) and counts to 10 (somehow almost all the numbers sound like they start with "H" but that's ok). All of it is recognizable by her tone but all with a "toddler" accent which means it's a little garbled and there's some letter switching but apparently that's normal. The audiologist said that kids don't develop all of the sounds in the English language until age 8! She said pretty much every 3 year old (with normal hearing) will say they are "free" years old. Anyway, Ella is picking up new words literally every day.
She's also learning new concepts that go with words-for instance, I got some books for her at the library and asked if she wanted to read her "new" books. The next day I showed her some clothes I got at the store and she said "oooo, new clothes." She's surprised me and proven since then that she gets what "new" means, not just a word to go in front of books. It's exciting to see how much she can understand now and remember. She's been telling everyone all week that Brooklyn is at Nana's house (one of our dogs went to go live with Chris' parents-a great deal for everyone involved). It kinda sounds like "Broo-lin ziz a Nana how" but it totally counts in my book. She told the audiologist that and she furiously scribbled notes about how Ella said a 5 word sentence (apparently 4 words together by the time they're 3 is the goal).
She's also catching on to being polite. She's starting to say "please" and "thank you" and "sorry" without being prompted. When she doesn't want to hold something in her car seat anymore (cup, book etc.) she's been saying "NO NO" louder and louder until I take it from her (I'm trying to decide if that's better than just throwing it on the floor). It's pretty frustrating though because I can't always reach back and take whatever it is right away so I've been asking her to nicely tell me that she's "all done" and hold it or wait for me to take it. Well yesterday she started saying something over and over and I couldn't turn around and started telling her to stop yelling at mommy until I realized she was saying "No thank you, NO thank you" and holding her cup out for me to take. I felt sheepish for getting upset when she was using her "nice words" so I took the cup and praised her for saying it nicely. She's just so cute sometimes!
She also has been saying "excuse me" a lot (to the dog, to chairs, anything in her way) and then "thank you" when the dog or person moves (the inanimate objects just get shoved away). She also says "hold it?" when she sees something she wants to touch or when she's done she'll say "Mommy hold it?"
TOYS:ALERT-Ella doesn't like her toys. For the most part she won't play with anything for more than a few minutes. It's very frustrating. I'm going to get some new open storage bins and shelves so things are more accessible and easy to see and hopefully that will help. She loves toys at other people's houses but here, nope.
Oh, but she is fabulous at puzzles all of a sudden. A few weeks ago she didn't understand how to turn the pieces to make them fit so she just got frustrated and didn't want to play with them. Now she easily identifies the matching space for each piece and turns them until they fit. Amazing. She surprises me with little things like that she knows what it means if I say "turn it" and if I say "try turning the other way." I know they're small things but it makes my little heart happy to see her turn something the other way and realize my tiny child knows what "turn" and "other way" mean. Wow. She's amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment