Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

GG, Mama, Anne

My grandmother is a super wonderful, sweet, generous, funny, wise woman and loooooves Ella (and the rest of us of course). She writes us sweet letters all the time and signs them with all of the names we call her. For Ella "GG" (Great Grandma), for me "Mama," and for Chris, "Anne."

She's been in and out of the hospital lately but seems to be on the mend. We pray she's with us many, many more years so we can all continue to enjoy her. At 91 she is completely mentally "with it," still drives, thinks trials are things to be turned into laughter, and smiles and dances her way through everything. She's a joy to be around and we can't wait for our newest little one to meet her. She's an example to me in so many ways-I hope to sance my way through my 90's with such joy for life!


At the hospital a few months ago



At the hospital last week :-)

2 comments:

  1. I love that every single photograph I've ever seen of your grandmother has her smiling... and that she's like that in real life too :-)

    SO glad that she's on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your tribute to the lady I have called Mom for 37 years. As I have told her all that time, it is a pleasure to have a mother-in-law who is one of your best friends. It is a mutual feeling.

    I want to be like her when I grow up--

    I will never forget that before you were born, she kept asking me what your name would be. Daddy continually told her that if you were a boy--Igor, and if a girl, Igorina.

    Her response was--"as long as it is a healthy baby"--and then proceeded to give us a long list of possible names for you....just like the list of names she has been suggesting for your baby since she has been at our house for the last 11 days. Her favorite is Juliann or Julianna. She just wants her name included somehow.

    ReplyDelete