So, this year we started what I hope will become a new tradition. We've talked a bit about how Christmas is about giving: God giving us Jesus and to emulate that, us giving each other presents. As a parent I think you always hope your kid understands deeper lessons like "We should give generously because God did" but worry they only hear "I have to smile through other people opening stuff until I get my hands on the presents for me." So, one afternoon the week before Christmas my lovely Sister-in-law Stacy offered to take Ella and her cousins shopping for presents for their families. This was wonderful on many levels:
1.An opportunity to live out giving to others! Plus, I have very fond memories of getting to shop "by myself" at a little kids' Christmas store they used to have at the Mall where the parents couldn't come in and I could actually buy them presents they'd be surprised about on Christmas Day. It was REALLLY fun to get to see Ella have the same joy I remember.
2. They shopped at Five below which is awesome because she got 4 presents for $15. Wish I could say that for myself.
3. Having your child whisked away for an entire afternoon a few days before Christmas provides invaluable time to get things done. Score!!
Also, Stacy did an awesome job of having the kids make a list before they went to the store. That way they could:
1. Pick the people they wanted to buy for ahead of time to avoid impulse buys for random people (Ella had already suggested buying a gift for one kid in her class at school (cause that wouldn't cause a riot among the other 16 four-year olds!) and one for her "new best friend from church" whose name she didn't know).
2. Think about what those people actually would like (not what the KID would like).
As far as I know, it went off without a hitch and Stacy even closed her eyes at one point to let them pick out a gift for her (white, sparkly sunglasses, of course!). Stacy helped the kids secretly wrap everything before the family members saw anything and the joy and surprise on Christmas was both heart-warming and fun. Ella couldn't wait to hand out her gifts. With a genuine smile she couldn't wipe off her face she remarked that "giving really is better than getting!!" And that, my friends, is success. Praise the Lord for a little girl getting to live out a principal that she now really believes because she lived it!
| Helping Sadie open her present (she couldn't wait any longer so we let her give this one on Christmas Eve morning!) |
| Sadie's new dog! |
| And Chris' present was....stick on mustaches "because Daddy is so silly!" HILARIOUS present! |
| I got gloves with a fold-back fingerless option "for when I need to do things for Sadie." So SWEET and thoughtful. I love this little girl! |

her face in that last pic says it all :) SO great! and those moustaches are hilarious!
ReplyDeleteHOLY ALL THINGS WONDERFUL!! I love the mustache pics!!
ReplyDeleteAnd, seriously. How awesome is Stacy! I think this was my kid's favorite Christmas prep activity.
Stacy IS awesome. What a super aunt. And Ella is such a sweetie!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweetie! My grandfather used to take us shopping for our parents. I need to trade with some other parents next year to force our kids to shop for us. :)
ReplyDelete