Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chinese New Year

Ever since I gained a sister-in-law from China a few years ago I have been learning a lot about Chinese culture, language, and holidays.  Thus, it caught my eye when a local Children's Museum was hosting a Chinese New Year celebration.  We invited Ping (my SIL) and her family to join us and it was a really fun event!  They had a full schedule of events celebrating the year of the Rabbit.  Everything from chopstick lessons and free chinese food to getting your own name in Chinese calligraphy on a bookmark to a traditional Chinese New Year music and dance show! Sadly I didn't get a ton of pics of the littler cousins but here are some shots we did snag.

Sadie was a Baby Bjorn hero and enjoyed the sights and sounds of all the big kids running around
Ella was SO nervous to walk on this rope bridge (it was 3 stories up) but brave with me in front and Aunt Stacy behind.  She did it!
In every kids museum I'm a sucker for the water play area.  This was no exception-it was so much fun! And this one had raincoats and crocs you could wear and then a full body dryer to use when you were done!
I watched a bunch of kids get this bubble to their knees and then Chris my nephew tries and voila! full body bubble!

I love that Ella sticks her tongue out when she's concentrating :-)

The Chinese Dragon Dance/Show was awesome! 

There were 3 guys underneath making the dragon "dance" and they had to keep switching out, presumably because it looked like an insane workout and they needed a break!

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO bummed that I didn't get to go. It's probably better that I didn't know about it until after. Thanks for posting these pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful cultural education....and fun too!

    ReplyDelete