So, in my 5+ years of being a mom there has never been a shortage of advice or "the new best thing" to do for your child. I try to take it all in and then weed through the biased or blatantly false information and then as a family, with God's guidance, make the best decisions for
our family. I try not to make decisions in parenting (or anything!) based on what's coolest, newest, trendy, or even expected. I believe strongly in the uniqueness of each individual so what might be right your someone else's kid may be a horrible choice for Ella or Sadie.
I also have complete faith in God's power to direct me and that sometimes, even most times, that direction may not look like what the rest of the world is doing. In fact, sometimes, that's how I know it's Him. His ways rarely look like the world's ways (Isaiah 55:8). So all this to say, something as seemingly insignificant as whether I was going to make my own baby food was a "come to Jesus" process for me. I knew I had some dirty motivations in there ("everyone's doing it" or the pride I could take in doing the "best" for my baby). Plus there was my own laziness that felt intimidated by it and would rather throw some money at the problem and buy baby food. After some talking it out with God and dealing with my sin, the verdict is in. He wanted me to do it anyway and has done some purifying of my motives and given me so much joy in doing it! And, it's much easier than I thought!
(Oh, and I learned that it's no longer the new, trendy, "best for baby" thing anyway! Apparently
feeding table food from the beginning is the newest trend- Good thing I wasn't doing it for those reasons!)
So here are some fun pics from my adventures is baby food making. It's so stinkin' simple. And pretty. I decided that I like to have pretty things around me so if I was going to put baby food in ice cube trays they better be aesthetically pleasing ones. So, thank you Ikea for $2 brightly colored, adorably shaped silicone trays! It makes this job even more fun!
 |
| Cook Food and then Puree |
 |
| So, this looks kinda gross but I used the Pamepered Chef scraper to clean up the excess-another use for that great tool!! |
 |
| Fill up the ice cube trays and then freeze 'em |
 |
| A cute little fishy of frozen peas! |
 |
| Carrot Hearts! |
 |
| Pea Flowers |
 |
| Pop 'em out, bag 'em and defrost when ready to serve! |
 |
| This makes it 1000000% worth it! |
Great pics!! Your fish peas totally surprised me at family dinner the other night :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd that Wikipedia article was written by a zealot. Interesting concept... I guess there's always something we're doing "wrong" :-)
I'm kind of jealous of your ice cube trays!
ReplyDeleteI made baby food for our boys. My motivation had more to do with money than anything. But it became my Sunday afternoon routine. I really liked prepping for the week in that way and having a freezer full of colorful nuggets!
When it's meat time, key to our happiness was mixing it with those sweet orange vegetables - carrots, sweet potatoes, squash. And some molasses. My excuse for the molasses was that it adds iron. But really it was to bribe them to eat it with the sweetness. :)
Nice! I like the fun shapes!
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you! For working this out with God first and now experiencing freedom and joy! Love you!
ReplyDelete