The other night we got home late after a superbowl party and I was putting Ella to bed. We were snuggling after we'd done all the steps of the bedtime routine and had this conversation.
E: Mom do you know about yebayee?
Me: What?
E: Yebayee. From my school?
Me: what?? (this went back and forth for a LONG time)
E: yebayee and justice.
Me: what are you saying ella?
E: yebayee and justice for all!!
Me: (slowly wheels turn in my head...first recognition...then surprise...then shock...) Wait, "liberty and justice for all"? Do you know the pledge of allegiance???
I'm staring at Ella in disbelief at this point and sitting up in the chair where she'd been laying on me and this is what she said....(actually this is what she said after I screamed for Chris to come and bring the camera)...
I almost cried I was so proud and she was so cute. Apparently they say it at school every day but I had no idea! Since when does the 2yr old class at a preschool recite the pledge? I just didn't expect it! There's something wonderful and awful about your kid being old enough to learn things without you. Oh and excuse her slight slurring, it was about 10pm and she usually goes to bed at 7pm so she was a little out of it :-) Beautiful to a mommy's ears nonetheless.
That is AWESOME!!! YAY Ella!
ReplyDeleteAnd I know what you mean about learning things without you. It's cool and scary and a little creepy sometimes.
One day a few years ago, Elias is playing with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse figures on the floor and then all of a sudden I hear Donald Duck say "...and to the republic for which it stands..." It blew me away. He knew that and a handful of kiddie prayers that he had learned from school. It makes you wonder what else is stored up in those little brains of theirs!
ReplyDeleteAw, I love how she says "indivisible". She is so adorable. :)
ReplyDeleteSo stinkin' adorable. I'm excited for this to happen!! But yeah, it IS sad!
ReplyDeleteTotally awesome! Wow!
ReplyDeleteIt is so fun to hear her voice and watch her do "big kid" things. She IS a big kid!!!
That's so great! Yay Ella! :)
ReplyDeleteCompletely adorable.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet.
Made me brush a tear away....
Nana