So, back in 7th grade at Bryn Mawr I got to take an elective class in stained glass. I LOVED it! I loved Mr.Nelson, my earth science teacher, who taught it. I loved getting to cut, break, and grind glass and then use a 700 degree soldering iron to melt lead. It was AWESOME. So, I've been talking about it since then. So, being the sweetest husband ever, Chris paid attention and after probably a year since I'd last mentioned it, gave me a weekend workshop at a Stained Glass Studio for my birthday!! Not only did he give it to me, but he knows me well enough to know I would much rather do it with him. He also arranged the childcare for Ella (thanks Nancy!) So, a couple weeks ago the two of us set out for two 7 hr days of creating stained glass!
Our first step was learning different ways to break glass. This is a video of the table break-SO fun!
Next we learned to cut all of these shapes on this practice sheet. For some reason I could not get the arch shape very well but my first circle was decent. Chris did well with all of them :-)
Next we picked a pattern for our peice we'd work on all weekend and the glass to go in it. This took me HOURS. I'm not very decisive.
Then we lay out and number each peice of the "puzzle" that completes our pattern. Then you glue them to the right color glass and start cutting.
Then you have to create a work board and makes sure the peices you cut fit back in it and are square.
Chris hard at work on Day one. We got to the point of all of our peices being cut, grinding them to fit (this took me FOREVER because all my peices were curved which was a challenge), and getting them back into the "puzzle" on our workboard. Then home for the day! We got 3 cuts between us on day one but all were minor. Day two involves molten metal so y'all come back now, hear?
Kudos to Chris! So happy you got to do it. I hope you can get to more of these heart-desires or even to do this one again.
ReplyDeleteEvery since my first visit to Williamsburg about 30 years ago, I wanted to try it...but was too scared. Glad you had the courage.
Abuela
You are the sweetest couple!
ReplyDelete