Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

More Garden Updates

Well, the plants are making their way from the seed pods to small pots and then into the ground! A few weeks ago Chris and his brother Andrew rented a tiller and took turns creating garden spaces at our house and theirs. Here's the finished product and some updated pics of the plants! We'll see how many survive the big move into the ground!




My sweet husband-turned-gardener

7 comments:

  1. I am claiming my cucumber NOW. The three I bought at the store this week rotted in one day.
    I pray you have a hearty harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well shoot, since Chris has already done the research I'll just ask you - I planted our cukes/ zucchini/ squash from seed, and unfortunately they've migrated all over the garden so I'll have to transplant them when they get big enough.
    I figure it's the same effect to the plant as going from pot to ground - how big should they be? 6 inches? They're about 4 inches now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no clue but I'll ask Chris and get back to you ;-) Your beautiful compost pictures are part of why we started composting! Hopefully we'll both have lots of veggies in a couple months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ellen-Chris said 6 inches :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking at these pictures thinking that if Chris ever needs a new career, horticulture just might be his thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is the definition of a horticulturist straight from Wikipedia! Now tell me that this doesn't sound perfect for Chris...

    Horticulture is the industry and science of plant cultivation. Horticulturists work and conduct research in the disciplines of plant propagation and cultivation, crop production, plant breeding and genetic engineering, plant biochemistry, and plant physiology. The work particularly involves fruits, berries, nuts, vegetables, flowers, trees, shrubs, and turf. Horticulturists work to improve crop yield, quality, nutritional value, and resistance to insects, diseases, and environmental stresses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He rocks! We're so doing it the completely unscientific way. It's mildly hilarious :) And we're probably going to end up with 70 million tomatoes and 2 zucchini :)

    Yay for Chris getting it done and how!

    ReplyDelete