So, Ella's discovered meanness and it's breaking my heart. Last week her friend L did something with her toy that she didn't like and she told L "I don't want to have playdates with you anymore." And L burst into tears. Ella looked kind of shocked and I honestly feel like it was the first time she's said something to a friend and produced that kind of reaction. She doesn't have the filter for her thoughts and feelings that us adults have and it's beginning to be a bad thing!
We've had many conversations since this event about how words can hurt feelings and other ways to handle it if someone does something you don't like. I hope she catches on but it's not looking great so far. We got home from a date last night and the babysitter said Ella told her "I don't love you anymore and I don't want you to babysit me." Ahhhhhh!!! Grace is super sweet and wasn't offended but this is NOT the kind of comment I want my kid making! Part of me has enjoyed the unfiltered brain-to-mouth content of Ella's speech. It's so innocent and until recently, mostly very sweet. However, the same simple logic that causes her to want to bring me bandaids when my stomach hurts (soooo cute) is now causing her to "unfriend" people who do something she doesn't like. It's simple enough-you're mean, so I'm done with you. I'm sure she'll "get" social mores at some point but this meanness is I new milestone so I thought, for the sake of honesty, I'd record not only the first haircut and first time writing her name, but also the first bits of nastiness. Guess this whole sin nature thing can sneak up on you. Happens to the best of us.
Ella's "nastiness" is NO reflection on your parenting but her honesty is, and THAT is a great one.
ReplyDeleteSomething else she'll learn from you? How to be a great friend, how to say the right thing at the right time and how to take care of people.