Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Friday, May 8, 2009

Garden Growth!

Chris' love for gardening has continued to grow-he's become quite the researcher and planner for this project and the plants are doing GREAT!!! He's acclimating them to the outdoors now so they spend some time outside each day now. They go into the ground in the next week so we'll see how well they make the transition. Chris researched their different needs for sun, water, space etc. and has planned out a map of how the garden will be layed out. I'm so impressed with him! He's also added garlic, a korean melon (thanks Ping!), and a new type of tomatoes. I think we're up to about 20 different plants/fruits/vegetables! Here are the latest pics.


Ella helping carry the butternut squash sprouts out

The green beans and sunflowers are 12 inches tall! The garlic grew to 6 inches in a week!

Ella showing off her plants!

9 comments:

  1. Garlic, oooohhh. That's something I've never considered growing.

    I'll be interested to see how your watermelons work out. We've never been able to make them grow here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited to see how all your produce turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! I never knew starting a garden would be such work. It's not just popping seeds in the ground, huh?
    I'll remember these posts if/when I start a garden one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy-Chris is just really excited about this being a new hobby-most of the people we know just threw some seeds in the ground and stuff grows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the way we Heiligers roll... full force. (I think he gets that from our dad)
    I like that Ella is practicing safe gardening with her protective glasses :-) Love you ~ S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats so fun!!! I'm so impressed!! I wish I had a house where I could have my own garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look AWESOME! Love it!! And Ella looks so proud! You totally need a shot of Chris with his garden work.

    BTW, korean melons are super tasty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love Love Love all the pics...especially my friend Ella being so stylish!-Caroline

    ReplyDelete