Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Best.Date.Ever.

I'm loving the advent of things like Groupon and Living Social and Certifikid.  I get emails or check the websites and find all kinds of awesome local deals!  This deal was the best things I've found so far.  It was a date for 2 that included dessert, wine, and a painting lesson with all the materials and a professional artist!  I surprised Chris with this evening out and it was better than I could have even imagined.  We LOVE doing unusual, creative dates and this was perfect for us!

When we arrived at the Washington Design Center (which looked awesome to explore sometime) we entered a room where there were about 20 canvases set u on easles and a bunch of other couples.  As we chatted with folks we discovered that most everyone found the deal online as we did and had little to no art experience. A bunch of like-minded people just looking for a fun night out!  

We were soon offered dessert and our choice of wine (which was free flowing all night) and after we'd eaten and chatted a bit, our "teacher" for the night was introduced.  She is an artist who has work hanging in the White House as well as many celebrity clients who have commissioned paintings by her-pretty cool!  She was very laid back and didn't do much formal instruction but was available for advice and help as we worked on the project for the night-a still life of oranges.  She had painted an example that hung in the front of the room.  The woman next to Chris painted flying turtles but for the most part, we all tried our hand at creating life-like oranges with varying degrees of success.  We had so much fun and I snapped some pics on my cell phone throughout the night. I would definitely recommend Uncork'd Art to anyone! I'd love to do this again.
That's me hard at work on the left and Chris' painting on the right
Some of our fellow classmates

That's our resident artist standing up pointing to the red painting
Chris making some finishing touches
Chris' finished product!  Funky green oranges!
My finished "blood oranges" (which I've never actually eaten but see on cooking shows all the time)
Our whole class! Such a fun group!


No comments:

Post a Comment