Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me!


When I started grad school and had some time driving there by myself, I started listening to podcasts and have become quite addicted to a few over the last 3-4 years.  One that I NEVER miss is a comedy, news quiz show from NPR called "Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me."  It's so funny and a sort-of decent source of news each week as well!  I found out they were going to be taping the show live in Baltimore last month and searched all over for tickets but it was sold out.  I was so bummed!  
However, on the day OF the show, I checked ticketmaster and craigslist one last time and ticketmaster had tickets!!!  I consulted Chris, prayed we'd find a babysitter last minute, and we bought them!  

Since we bought them last minute we were sure the seats would be poor but they were AWESOME.  We were in a box with 3, comfy, swiveling, velvet armchairs and no third person!  Just us!  We were looking right over the stage.  Couldn't have been more perfect.  

It was so much fun to see how they produce the show and to see some of the "voices" I hear all the time!  And Mo Roca, one of my favorites, was one of the panelists (it rotates weekly)!  The celebrity guest was John Waters who was there in person and as a fixture in Baltimore, was interviewed for much longer than they needed for the show.  He was such a character!  We were also really impressed with Peter Segel, the host, in person-he managed to be really funny on the spot and entertain the crowd as well as do everything needed to keep the radio show going (he reads all the questions from an ipad on the podium in from of him).  

Great experience and made me love listening to the show every week even more!

Our attempt at a camera-phone self portrait

our view of the stage

1 comment:

  1. SO awesome! Way to go checking one last time. I never would have though to do that.

    ReplyDelete