Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Carrot Cake!

 Probably like most people, I get really excited when I see something that looks really cool and that I'd like to do....and then actually do it! This cake was one of those great situations where I loved something in a magazine and it was the right mix of easy, cheap, and fun to make it happen :-) 

Start off with a nice, frozen Sara Lee Pound cake (unless you're an overachiever and want to make your own)
Cut off a couple inches from one end and then 2 wedges off the sides.
Add some yellow and red food coloring to white icing until you get an orange you like
Use icing to "glue" on the wedges to make a point at one end.  Let your husband eat the flat end you cut off (at least that's what I did :-) )
Ice the whole thing
Gather your orange jelly beans-sooo pretty!
Start laying 'em on (and if you're me, let go of any hopes of perfection)
Ella had fun helping with almost all of the steps but the jelly-beaning was the easiest for her to help with :-)  
    
Lay out some green candy for the stem and...Ta-da! It was a hit at our Easter Celebration and a fun project with Ella.

2 comments: