Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Share the Cantelope

Before Ella's nap we read a story about Christmas Elves who discovered that some kids didn't need toys but instead needed food so they brought some families a Christmas feast and toys. We talked about how some famlies don't have very much money and they don't have enough food and how it's good to help them. I told her that sometimes Gideon (our adopted Compassion Intl. child) and lots of kids in Africa don't have enough food sometimes too. I didn't know if she'd get it but it was worth mentioning. Then she napped (read: laid in her bed and talked/cried/sang for 45 minutes).

She's been up for a few minutes and was playing. Then, she walked into our bedroom where I was (the furthest point in the house from the kitchen) carrying a whole cantelope. I didn't want to startle her and make her drop it so I tried to remain calm.

Me: Ella! You got the cantelope!
Ella: Yeah! From the refrigerator! (It was in a drawer too-I have no idea how she managed this)
Me: Wow! Well, let's be careful with it so we don't drop it on your feet. Let's go put it back!
Ella: NO! We can't, it's for the children.
Me: Huh?
Ella: The children don't have any food so let's go give it to them ok?
Me: Oooohhh. You're right Ella, some kids need food and that's very nice to want to give it to them. Who should we give it to?
Ella: (still holding the cantelope) How 'bout Miss Jen?
Me: I think they have enough food.
Ella: How 'bout Uncle David and Aunt Jew-ee (Julie)?
Me: Why?
Ella: They can give it to Africa! (Dave and Julie just got back from a missions trip to Cameroon)
Me (laughing): that's a good idea! But maybe we'll keep this cantelope and send some money so they can buy some food in Africa.
Ella: ok. This watermelon is heavy Mom. But I'm strong.


Also, as I'm writing this she was "reading" a nail polish bottle and said "this says dear Ella, you should pray." She said, let's pray and held my hand and said
"Dear God, thank you for the sun and for the Lord. Let's be nice. And I pray for Lexi and Aunt Holly. The End. I mean Amen"

5 comments:

  1. I am actually crying reading that post. So sweet, and so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kid is awesome! I am thoroughly amused (and a little touched!) that she worried about our food status :) Not to worry, Miss Ella :)

    She's seriously so cute. That made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! How unbelievably sweet!! I love that last part!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is freakin' adorable!!! I love that she prayed for me :o)
    - H

    ReplyDelete