Ella was at my parents last week and helping my mom "clean" by wiping everything she could reach with a wipe. At one point my mom turned around and saw her wiping the outlet on the wall...
Mom: ELLA! NO!!!! (Loudly)
Ella (startled, quiet for a minute then walked toward my mom and then in a very serious tone) : Abuela, we do not scream. We talk about it. DO NOT SCREAM. You just talk about it.
I was cracking up when my mom told me this-I can hear myself saying those exact words to her almost daily. I guess in some weird way it's sticking!
She has been a HELLION for the last two days but today is much better so far. Yesterday I lost my temper and really yelled at her for the first time in her life. I've never heard myself say "Come here now" so meanly (is that a word?) EVER, to anyone. I apologized to her later and I hope I don't let her get the best of me like that anymore (or at least only annually or so). As for today going better, the only thing that's different is how much I've been praying for her (and that Holly took her for 2 hrs this morning so I didn't lose my mind). I'm trying to figure out the best way to inspire respect in her and get her to do things the first time I tell her to. I'm open to tips from you blog readers...
Also, at lunch at Holly's today, Holly and I were chatting and eating (thanks for the Chinese food Hol!) and Ella was sitting and eating quietly (yay Ella). If that wasn't good enough, out of nowhere she said "Mom, I love you and you're very pretty." Awwww...she can be so sweet! When I told her I loved her and that she's pretty too she said "I know, I'm is pretty!" Oh well, grammar and humility are definitely skills to worry about another day.
No advice for you..wish I had some. All I can say is that I can pray for you to have wisdom and effective ideas in the near future! I tremble at what comes our way in 3 months (there is joy and excitement in there too)!! Miss you friend. :)
ReplyDelete