Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Potty Training: Take Two

We're potty training again. I wasn't really planning it but it seems like God engineered the timing. We had an exhausting weekend last week so we stayed home a lot at the beginning of the week to recover (normally we're out and about every day). Since we were here, I decided to put her in underwear and see what happened. She did pretty well so I got bold and took her out in underwear on Thursday-a 40 min drive each way to lunch with my dad and sister and grandmother-and she did great! NO ACCIDENTS! The last two days she's been in underwear all day and had one accident each day (neither were when we were out thankfully!). So, I think it's really going to happen this time! She gets an MnM each time she goes in the potty which is highly motivating for her. The only thing that makes me concerned about whether this will last is that she has NEVER told us she has to go to the bathroom. I just ask her 100 times a day and she says yes 3 or 4 times. So, I'm not sure that she REALLY understands what it feels like to need to go or exactly how to "hold it" (she grabbed her underwear the first time I told her to "hold it"-makes sense!). But, it's looking very promising. It feels very different from the first time we tried. I've been dreading it since she turned two but it's not nearly as painful as a expected to remind her to go all the time or to carry a change of clothes. I think next time around (with another kid and future milestones with Ella) I'll be more willing to wait and resist any pressure for kids to do things early or even "on time." These things really do happen in their own time and it's much less painful when they're really ready. So, if she stays in a crib 'til she's four, I'm ok with that :-)



3 comments:

  1. "These things really do happen in their own time and it's much less painful when they're really ready."

    AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Ella! Caroline only goes every 4 - 5 hours, so you can relax a bit and not ask Ella 100x(like we did, it drove Caroline insane)if she has to go! Now, even at the beach she says she has to go. It is awesome how when THEY are ready things go so well. It is so scary how they grow so quickly. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I went through the same kind of thing with Ashley. We finally had a "potty party" to stop the random accidents--we went to the store and let her pick out a pee-pee dolly, then put her right next to her bed that night. I told her that it was her doll's special day the next day-the day she would learn to use the potty. So the next day, I went over the top with party hats and treats and Ash taught her doll how to use the potty, the theory being that if you teach someone else how to do something, you learn it better--it also seemed to take some of the pressure off of her and made it fun. Good Luck!
    I hope all is going well with you! I love to check your blog and see your sweet family!
    :) Amelia

    ReplyDelete