Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Plumbing and Pumpkin Cookies

Last week while Chris was gone we made pumpkin shaped cookies and recorded each step so we could show him-we had so much fun. That's the good part of what happened that morning. The bad part is that the day before I made an apple pie for my sister's birthday and put ALL of the apple peels and cores down the garbage disposal. I tend to be rather liberal with what I trust the disposal can handle (obviously). Well this time, it was a bridge too far and the sink would no longer drain. So, soon after we made cookies, I attempted to fix our clogged garbage disposal by dismantling the plumbing under the kitchen sink. Ella and I watched how-to videos on you-tube and she seemed fascinated but then when i said "that's what mommy's going to do!" she promptly asked to go watch TV. So, I spent an hour under the sink, got covered in all kinds of nasty liquids and it didn't work. Not, on cookie making day anyway.

However, I tried again a couple days later (all the while never mentioning to Chris that our dishwasher was now full of water and flooding the kitchen or that I had to wash dishes in the bathroom). On this second try, when I really dismantled EVERY SINGLE pipe, tube, and connector thingy under the sink, it worked!!! Problem fixed and just in time. Chris came home the next day and only heard the happy ending not the-"ummm....so while you were gone..." confession I thought I was going to have to make. Yay! I'm a plumber!!! Oh yeah, so here are the cookie pictures :-)


Yes we used pre-made cookie dough-don't judge-we're working with a 2 year old's attention span here.

rolling

cutting

ready to bake!

ready to decorate (I got these cool food-coloring markers, too bad they only worked for the first few)

The final product :-)

5 comments:

  1. She is a sweet pea. And we love her a lot.

    Now, I am thoroughly impressed with your plumbing skills. THOROUGHLY. But I think you're banned from using the garbage disposal from now on.

    (Isn't this the second time? ;)

    We love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm impressed. i totally stink at that sort of thing & would've likely flooded our whole house. another reason i wish we lived closer--you could be my go-to plumber :)

    and ella looks so grown-up in all these recent pics--hard to believe she's almost 3! she's precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm WAY proud of your plumbing skills.

    And of Ella's cookie skills. Christopher would never get that far, he'd just eat the dough every time I turned my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thouroughly impressed withyour plumbing skills.
    Also, the cookies look yummy. I think we will have to make some scrumptious fall cookies this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Jen, it is NOT the second time...the first time was totally not my fault...at least not fully...I'm not banning myself from the garbage disposal, I've just learned a healthy respect for it so I'll be nicer to it :-)

    ReplyDelete