Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Unlikely Loveys


Remember this? Back in June Ella found this rock when we went to a farm to pick strawberries. guess what? SHE is still in love with it. She SLEEPS with it. She carries it around in a blanket, sings to it, and has named it "Rocky." She cried the other day because I wouldn't let her take it to school. Chris thinks we should get rid of the rock when she's not looking because it's SO heavy and therefore dangerous. I agree that it's not the safest "lovey" (quite the opposite of a blanket or stuffed animal) but she's only hurt herself a couple times and she always tells us that she's being "vewwwwy cawe-ful." She just loves the thing so much I can't bear to face her when she's searching the whole house wondering where it is. So, as long as I can protect Rocky from Daddy giving it back to nature, he'll be (strange) part of the family for a while longer :-)

4 comments:

  1. You just made me laugh, out loud, for a full minute. YAY for Ella and her lovey rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please Daddy, let him stay...He is benign. The next Rocky she she becomes attached to could be 6' tall and evil.

    Let us help her find a substitute in a subtle way...fish, gerbil, ???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe she still HAS THAT ROCK!

    She's totally funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. she almost broke her foot dropping that thing. it is like 10 pounds. she could break my foot throwing rocky around.

    ReplyDelete