Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Conversations with E

E: Mom, what is this book about?
Me: Oh, that's Our Daily Bread, it's a book about God! (...I await deep, spiritual conversation...)
E: (flips it over and looks at spring themed cover and then casts it aside) No Mom, it's not. It's a book about flowers.


Me: Ella can I keep coloring with you? I'm having a good time!
E: Yes! You may! Know why? Because you are perfectly exciting mom!


Most nights when we try to put her to bed without a drink
E: (pointing pathetically to her empty mouth) Mom, I just need a little something to go in here. Please? Just something for right here.


E:Mom? You know what I want to do?
Me: What?
E: Go to Disney World! But not til I'm a liiiiiiittle bit bigger because then I won't be scared of costumes.
Me:Yeah-that's a good idea. We don't want you to be scared so we'll wait until you're a little older. When do you think you won't be scared anymore?
E:Ummm...prob-ly when I'm 29.
Me: (laughing)
E: Yup. 29. When I'm a mama like you.

And finally...a conversation we have often....
E:Mom when can I get a car?
Me: Do you remember? When you're six...
E:...teen! Sixteen! Then I can get a tiny, pink car and drive it! Whoohoo! (then she dances around joyously and then asks me again when she can drive about 5 minutes later)

3 comments:

  1. She is SO GREAT! I can't believe she's asking about driving already. I'd start changing that "sixteen" to "seventeen" though... that's likely to be the case.

    (And start saying twenty-five before dating starts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what do you know!
    I guess with a perfectly exciting mom to come along, then a tiny pink car to drive to Disney World is just the thing!
    Be sure to take lots of pictures....

    Heheh.

    ReplyDelete