Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Dark Side of the Beach

We had a lot of fun at the beach. During the day, that is. The night (yes only one night, we came back early because the first one was so wretched) was horrible. The layout of my parent's timeshare in Bethany is not conducive to a 2 year old actually going to sleep. The 2nd level is just a large bedroom but with no door-it's just open to stairs that go down to the living room/kitchen etc. So, after refusing to go to sleep in the pack-n-play we brought (I knew it was unlikely she'd go for a "baby bed" but anything to keep her contained was worth a try), we tried putting her to bed in the "big bed" which failed miserably. She was totally wired and kept insisting she wasn't tired and wanted to go downstairs. After much frustration, crying (not just Ella), and screaming, Marissa and Chris gave up and let her watch the Olympics until almost midnight. I (sort of) fell asleep in one of the attempts to get her to sleep upstairs but it was one of those painful, half-awake states because I knew I could't really go to sleep because eventually Ella has to go to bed and it's going to involve more crying and probably screaming and I'm the only one who will probaby be able to calm her down. I also knew it would probably end with her sleeping in our bed and kicking me all night. And I was right. She eventually came upstairs with Chris and screamed and cried until I held her like she was in a straightjacket and she eventually whimpered herself into a deep sleep. And proceeded to kick me all night long. When she wasn't pushing me off the bed. Did I mention is was wretched??? God bless all you co-sleepers but it is not a good fit for our family. Literally. This was the first time ever, in her entire almost three years of life, that she has EVER slept in our bed. I'd even tried to get to her to a couple times when she was sick or upset or even just to nap, but she's never been willing or interested at all. She's been in her crib since she was 8 days old and LOVES her crib. So anyway, it was a horrible night and we weren't brave enough to try it again, so we came home a day early. As soon as we got home I did Ella's normal bedtime routine and she happily went into her bed and slept for 13 hours. I had NO doubt she would. Apparently she's inheriting my love of routine and familiar comfortable surroundings. MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't travel with Ella unless she has her own room WITH A DOOR. EVER. Ok, I'm done reliving that episode. The next post will be the normal, happy kind with pictures :-)

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. I am going to get you a place for the same week next year that has what you need for Ella. I am going to request it today.

    Given our experience when she was younger and her easy long sleep in "her own bed" in the small room, I think something about large open spaces (like your old room and our master bedroom)is the key disturbing factor. I think Ella likes dark, tight places--she likes returning to the womb--every night.

    On some level,and at some times in our lives, we all have that wish, even as adults.

    Ella, show us the way!!!

    ReplyDelete