Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Final 2009 Garden Update

Well the first Annual Heiliger Garden project was a success! Chris definitely led the project and did almost all the work but Ella and I were good waterers and pickers and eaters :-) We'd definitely do some things differently next year but we'll certainly do it again!
A couple days ago we did one of what I think will be our last "harvests" of the year since it's starting to get cold.

Here's a broccoli plant! We started these from seeds back in April and just picked the first ones this week!!!



Our fall harvest has switched from lots of tomatoes and zuchinni to our crazy, mishapen pumpkin, butternut squash (which I LOVE), peppers, and broccoli! It's SO much fun to pick things out of your back yard and cook them up for dinner!

*So we'll remember, here are things to do differently next year
-grow more basil
-less random herbs and vegetables (bc they either didn't grow and if they did we didn't eat them)
-zuchinni sounds good but we don't really like it enough to have more than 1 plant-they grow back when you pick them
-not as many tomatoes (we had about 6 this year) and more heirloom, colored varieties (the yellow ones were really good this year)
-Not as many peppers and more of other colors (we had 6 and couldn't eat the peppers or tomatoes fast enough and a bunch died on the vine)
-try to grow strawberries
-start the butternut squash later so they can be harvested in fall rather than all summer also
-compost all year

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely getting in on the garden fun next year. I have my spot all picked out and am counting on Chris and Drew to walk me through the process. Very much looking forward to picking the veggies I've been buying at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Tim that I'm planting NO zucchini next year. They grow anyway, plus I'm with you - they're fun to grow because they're easy, but I just don't love them that much!

    ReplyDelete