I did want to document some new "behavior modification" measures we're starting this week. If you remember, we've used the school bus for a REALLY long time. It worked well but the novelty wore off and wasn't specific enough (she got kids on her school bus for any positive thing, lost them for any negative thing). So, we borrowed an idea Amy (my SIL) who borrowed it from another friend: a sticker chart where Ella gets stickers for certain behaviors. Here's the list (the ones with stars are the ones that have recently been causing a lot of problems):
I obeyed right away! *
I got dressed without whining! *
I fed Raleigh!
I stayed in my bed at night! *
I stayed in my room for rest time! *
I ate a serving of vegetables! *
I ate a serving of fruit!
I drank a cup of water!
I cleaned up my room!
Then it has this verse as encouragement for Ella and for us :-)
“So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up”.
Galatians 6:9 (New Living Translation)
We started it Saturday and right now Ella has 9 stickers!! The rewards are as follows:
10 stickers: piece of candy
20 stickers: a little toy from a treasure box (this box is still in the making)
30 stickers: gets to go to/rent a movie or get ice cream
I'm a little uncomfortable with food as rewards (especially in light of Beh. Mod. Part 2) so we may rethink that but for now I think it's ok. It makes her really happy and reinforces the idea that treats are "sometimes" foods not things we have every day (thanks Sesame Street!).
So, we're excited about the new chart, Ella's psyched about it and is doing pretty darn well. I hope this builds into her a sense of responsibility and respect for authority and self-control. I also hope that our responses to missteps give her a solid understanding of grace.
I'll let you know how it goes!
YAYY Ella!!
ReplyDeleteChristopher and Hannah got a lot of stickers right off too, but it slowed down to a respectable pace after about a week :-)
"I behaved right away" is a BIG one for us. I think that to an extent I expect too much of Will since he's not even 3, but it drives me CRAZY when I'm saying "nonononono" and he just does it and something gets spilled or Sam gets poked or whatever.
ReplyDeleteWe had a sticker chart (very broad - the possibility for a sticker for morning, afternoon (school), and night. 10 stickers was something from my goody bag. We took a week's vacation in October and kind of abandoned it but it's probably time to bring it back. And eventually move to what you have.