Part of what I love about the girls' names is that they were both popular 100 years ago and many people with those names are now great-grandmas. Both names evoke a vision for me of sweet old ladies rocking away together on a porch. I pray Ella and Sadie will live meaningful lives full of love and will be enjoying each other on a front porch somewhere many years from now.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pie Night 2009!!!

Tonight was Pie Night! It's an annual family tradition started by Chris' mom and loved by everyone. There are usually about 30 people and about 35 pies get made in the course of the night. Nancy (my MIL) prepares everything so people can get to work making apple, sweet potato, pumpkin, and cream cheese pie (it's sort of like cheesecake). This year butternut squash pie and a chocolate pie were added into the mix. I'm all about extending the holidays so starting to celebrate Thanksgiving the night before is perfect! Thanks Nancy for all the work you do to make this happen every year!

PS-if you notice any difference in the picture quality it's because we finally decided on a dSLR and it came in the mail yesterday! We still have a lot to learn but I'm already really happy with the purchase.


Ella was really excited to help cook this year and did a great job. We brought home the pie she made (almost) completely by herself!

Lau-Lau is my SIL Ping's mother and she was able to come to her first pie night! Nancy was showing her how to make pie crust and then Lau-Lau took the rolling pin and schooled us all! She's quick! Decades of rolling dumplings comes in handy! (by the way, Ping was in labor at Pie Night and will probably have the baby tonight or tomorrow!)

Ella and Hannah were chatting away like teenagers while they got some food. It was like a vision of things to come. How fun to have a cousin who is only 9 months younger!

I mostly worked on apple pies. They're my favorite :-)

Ella did help but she also got pretty excited about licking butter off every single finger! And sugar...and eating apples...and pie dough...

It was a really fun night. You can check out more pics here

1 comment:

  1. GREAT pics!! After seeing your pictures I really wish I used my flash some.

    ReplyDelete